Broxburn Ath v Bonnyrigg Rose




Bonnyrigg Rose Young , Bret , Brown (Tulloch 87m) , Horne , Martynuik, Nelson ,McIntosh (Janczyk 75m) ,
Currie , McGachie ,Gray , Wilson (Lough 66m) subs Stewart , Andrews

Referee Mr G.Calder assistants Mr J.Reekie , Mr J.Frame

Bonnyrigg started the game well without any real danger being created .On four minutes Wayne McIntosh saw a header from deep in the box miraculously saved by Connor Wallace Broxburn created their first chance on nine minutes when Ross Nimmo saw a attempt at goal easily saved . Bonnyrigg went straight up the park and a ball in from the left found McIntosh at the back post and unchallenged he headed over the bar . Broxburn were handling the Bonnyrigg strategy well and the defence once again cleared with ease on 12 minutes as the Rose tried hard to pierce the home defence . Kieran McGachie tried an effort from 20 yards out but went wide right of the target .Connor Wallace saved easily from McIntosh on 18 minutes . A let off for the home side when a ball played across the box went safely bye for a goal kick with no Bonnyrigg attackers taking advantage of the good ball in . Half way through the half Wallace pulled of a great save from Ross Gray but he was offside anyway but Connor still had to save before the decision was given . With ten minutes remaining Alexander Miller saw an effort blocked and cleared .The opening goal came on 36 minutes when a free kick put in from the left 12 yards out by Kieran Anderson was met by the head of GORDON DONALDSON who had gave his minder the slip to head into the back of the net .A couple of minutes later Bonnyrigg should have equalised when a ball from a free kick was cleared out the danger area it fell to a Bonnyrigg player who put the ball into the box on the right hand side where Kieran McGachie was unmarked and his shot shaved the bar hitting the back stanchion once over the bar. The home defence was handling everything that the visitors were throwing at them and stood firm .Broxburn doubled their lead with time running out in the first half when Nicholas Locke got the ball on the wide left hand side just inside his opponents half and fired a precision cross field pass to KIERAN ANDERSON who met it inside the penalty area and despite Bryan Young’s desperate fingertip attempt to save , the ball found its way into the top left hand corner .
Broxburn went on the attack from the second half kick off and when Locke was brought down 25 yards out Anderson fired in the free kick which Young saved comfortably . It was Nicholas Locke again who raced in on goal on 53 minutes but Bryan Young came of his line to stop the captains shot with his trailing leg as he dived to spread himself . At the other end the home defence held firm again and thwarted a good chance created by the visitors . Just before the hour mark a ball into the box was met by Kyle Wilson who thought he had scored but Connor Wallace was at his best to stretch and turn the ball away from danger the ball was cleared and it fell to Neil Martynuik who saw his shot saved and held by Wallace . McIntosh had an opportunity four minutes later but shot well over the bar . Kieran Anderson went on a mesmerising run past four defenders before firing off a shot from the left hand side that went past the right hand post . On 65 minutes the home side scored a third and effectively put the points in the bag when Neil Martynuik made a mess of a touch just inside his opponents half and Ross Nimmo capitalised by collecting the ball and running through unchallenged before a slide rule pass to ALEXANDER MILLER past the last defender for the striker to fire under the advancing keeper. McIntosh was finding no luck as Wallace saved his attempt on 71 minutes .With ten minutes remaining Jonathan Brown from wide left and about six yards from the bye line ,fired over a cross come shot that shaved off the cross bar before being cleared away . A minute later a ball into the box found Keith Lough 8 yards out but he shot over the bar .Michael Linton sent Anderson away down the left and as he approached the bye line fired in a pass to Locke who’s first touch was heavy and the visiting defence cleared the danger . Time was running out for the visitors and with 12 minutes left a throw in into the box and found Ross Gray who shot over the bar . Bonnyrigg did get a consolation goal on the ninety minute mark when a ball cleared out the box fell to NEIL MARTYNUIK who controlled it well before firing in to the top right hand corner with a left foot strike giving Wallace no chance .Broxburn had a claim for a penalty in injury time but the referee probably called it right as it was more of a clumsy collision of Miller and Young in the box . A good three points against one of the league favourites and praise goes out to all involved today as the three departments worked their socks off to get the management team’s tactics to work spot on .Next week we move on to Lochee United with confidence and any of the league challengers start slipping up we will be ready to strike as we have given ourselves an outside chance ,if Penicuik are considered contenders we must be there too ..


Date Time League Season
February 24, 2018 2:30 pm East Region Super League 2017/18




Broxburn Athletic3
Bonnyrigg Rose1

Broxburn Athletic

Shaun Donoghue Goalkeeper
Connor Wallace Goalkeeper
Grant Gavin Defender
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


League Table

1Broxburn Athletic3074
2Musselburgh Athletic3063
3Jeanfield Swifts3060
4Dunbar United3056
5Hutchieson Vale3055
6Sauchie Juniors3054
7Hill of Beath3050
8Haddington Athletic3044



Follow us online